Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Missing Ithaca and my past

Pretty straight forward blog title. I'm listening to all this music that has a connection to my past in Ithaca i.e. James Taylor, Simon & Garfunkle, etc. I'd say that I'm afraid of changing, but I'm not. Without change, there'd be no life. I also know that I bring my memories with us where ever I go, I just wish that I could experience them again. It almost seems unfair to have memories; when we think about them, we experience them as if they're happening in real time, but as soon as we realize that it's not the case, then that little piece of us connected to the memory is dragged back to the past with it, leaving us incomplete. The funny thing is that this time a year from now, I'll feel the same way about this moment. When it comes down to it, I guess there's two ways of looking at life similar to a glass half empty/half full approach: life is either a series of memories that are recollected when we leave this world or a perpetual present, constantly moving forward, evolving, changing. I can't go back to relive the past and I'm not particularly anxious to get to the future, all I have is now and although it will be just another memory come tomorrow, there will always be a new "now" to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment